Re: The future of "nv" driver (was: Linux compatible mainboards -another thought)

On Monday 26 April 2010 20:27:14 Celejar wrote:
> On Mon, 26 Apr 2010 17:03:07 -0500
> "Boyd Stephen Smith Jr." <bss@iguanasuicide.net> wrote:
> > On Monday 26 April 2010 16:34:36 Celejar wrote:

> > > ?  We're talking about firmware for things like wireless cards,
> > > produced by the HW manufacturers, e.g., Broadcom.  Where does the GPL
> > > enter into this?
> >
> > Some are included in the tarball provided by the Linux kernel team, which
> > is distributed under the GPLv2.  In particular, I am thinking of the
> > iwl3945 firmware that is required to run my wireless card.
> >
> > It doesn't matter what upstream wants to call source code.  The GPL(v2)
> > defines it as the preferred form for making modifications.  (GPLv2,
> > section 3.)  It is unlikely that the firmware was written in a hex editor
> > (or equivalent).  Most likely it is C source for a freestanding
> > (non-hosted) environment with some manufacturer-specific libraries, but
> > it could also be in some manufacturer-specific assembly code.  Either
> > form would be better for making modifications than a binary blob.
>
> This is all very well, but the context of this subthread is James's
> statement that he avoids installing the non-free firmware that his HW
> requires out of a commitment to FLOSS ideals, to which I responded that
> I'm not sure if one is really worse off installing such firmware, or
> using a card that just has that logic built in to its non-free HW.

And I claim he would be better off using a card that doesn't use firmware[1]
or uses free firmware, since non-free firmware is an issue for distributors
and it's relatively easy to "accidentally" participate in distributing
software in violation of its license.

I wouldn't want to be stuck without non-free available, but I recommend making
hardware purchases that allow you to avoid non-free as much as possible.  I'm
gradually moving that way myself.  (Desktop and laptop each need one driver
from non-free.)

Once you've got the hardware, you might as well use it, even if it requires
non-free drivers.  The manufacturer has already got their cut of what you
paid; you are hurting none but yourself by not using it.  You should try and
avoid becoming dependent on that hardware, since that makes you dependent on
non-free software.

[1] "Firmware" here is specifically limited to executable data transmitted to
the device from a host operating system, and does not include executable data
loaded from an EEPROM (or similar) that is provided with the device.