Audible bell in Metacity

Hello List,

I like my audible bell very much. I really really like it –
unfortunately, Metacity (from current Testing) blocks it in the
following way:

* "beep" works fine
* "xkbbell -force" works, but it doesn't w/o the "-force"
* Gnome-Terminal and all the other applications can only bell
  "visible", i. e. I get a flash when enabling the visible bell in
  Metacity's gconf-preferences but no audible bell if I disable it
  (and leave "audible bell" enabled).
* The module pcspkr is compiled into the kernel and works fine, as
  proven above.
* The volume of the "Bell"-output is at 50% in Alsamixer, and as
  proven above, ok this way.

I assume this is the same bug as described in
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/metacity/+bug/486154/

and comment 50 seems to provide a solution I didn't test yet – my
question is, wether or not there is a Debian-way to enable the bell
in Metacity or if I have to switch window managers as Piotr Engelking
did here: http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=551590

The hints he gave in this bug report unfortunately don't work for me
– I enabled the corresponding keys, but still can't hear a bell,
probably because I don't use ESD (is there any reason why I should
install this? ALSA works just fine for me…)

Best regards,

Claudius

ii  metacity 	1:2.28.0-3	lightweight GTK+ window manager
ii  gnome-core	1:2.28+7	The GNOME Desktop Environment -- ess…

--
Home on the Range was originally written in beef-flat.

http://chubig.net/