How to trick my Debian in thinking that a package is not installed

Hi,

How can I trick my Debian into thinking that a package is not installed?

I am talking about the *standalone* durep package. I don't like the new
0.9 version but rather prefer the old 0.8 version. However, even I've put
it on hold in dpkg/aptitude, from time to time if I do a 'aptitude safe-
upgrade', this durep package somehow get upgraded as well.

So now I think the easiest way for me to fix the problem once and for all
is to hide the fact to my Debian that the durep package is ever installed.

Please comment.
Thanks

--
Tong (remove underscore(s) to reply)