Re: Boot / LVM best practices

M.Lewis put forth on 4/11/2010 2:19 AM:

> I'm thinking to replace this IDE drive with two SATA HDs. One as small
> as I can get. Say 100GB or so and make that the boot drive. And a second
> HD say 500GB or so and moving the LVM over to that.

First, LVM isn't a "thing" you move.  LVM is a tool to manage drives and
partitions.  For most single user machines, such as a desktop or laptop, LVM
isn't necessary.  It depends on personal preference and how you like to
monkey with your free space.  I personally don't use LVM.  Others swear by it.

> Would it be better to move the LVM to a larger SATA drive and migrate
> the boot drive on to a new small IDE HD? I've even thought to set it up
> to boot from a flash drive. Not sure that would be wise either.

What would be better is to buy two equal size drives and mirror them with
mdadm, keeping your current partition layout or something similar.  Having a
separate /boot partition is always a good idea.  If you're going to buy two
drives, you'd be stupid to not use mirroring for fault tolerance and a
little added read performance here and there (depends on application).  And
yes, booting from a pen drive is a dumb idea.

> My question is is this a 'wise' thing. If not, why not and what would be
> the better approach?

I just mentioned it above.  You can get two WD 320GB 7200 RPM SATA 3Gb/s
drives for $100 from Newegg or two 500GB drives for $112:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136074
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136073

I have one of the 500GB drives and have been very pleased with it.  It's
whisper quiet and one of the fastest 7200 RPM drives on the market because
it's a single platter drive with only two heads.

Do you have SATA on your motherboard or do you need a SATA card?  If you
need one this Koutech isn't bad.  It's what I'm running my WD on.  I get
about 85MB/s sequential sustained running benchies, but the system is really
old, an Intel 440BX with PC100 memory.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815104219

--
Stan