Re: ATI Radeon HD 5600?

On 04/10/2010 10:37 AM, vr wrote:
I just picked up a laptop that has that display adapter.
lspci:
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Redwood [Radeon HD
5600 Series]

The highest resolution I've been able to get so far is 1400x1040 but using
the VESA driver.
xrandr:
Screen 0: minimum 800 x 600, current 1400 x 1050, maximum 1400 x 1050
default connected 1400x1050+0+0 0mm x 0mm
    1400x1050      60.0*
    1280x1024      61.0
    1280x960       61.0
    1152x864       60.0
    1024x768       61.0
    800x600        61.0

The VESA driver only allows you to use 4:3 modes, with none of the nice features (acceleration, power management) that the Evergreen hardware has to offer.

The proprietary ATI fglrx driver only works with versions of the X server before 1.7. What version of Debian are you using? What version of the X server do you have installed? (Try 'apt-cache policy xserver-xorg-core'.)

Open source support (via "radeon", but not "radeonhd") for Evergreen cards has been starting to appear since February. Debian Sid has very recent versions of the "radeon" driver (xserver-xorg-video-radeon, v. 6.13.0-1) which includes all of the X support made available so far upstream; but you will really want a very new kernel if you want to take advantage of kernel mode setting. The Debian Kernel Team has backported a lot of DRM support from 2.6.33 into recent 2.6.32 kernels, and also has made available experimental 2.6.33 kernels. (I'm actually using 2.6.34-rc3 compiled from upstream because some Evergreen specific commits appeared yesterday which update Evergreen support, and I am testing a Radeon HD 5750 card which I own.)

Some of this open source software has probably trickled into Squeeze/testing by now, if you are not using Sid and don't want to move to it.

I've tried to install the ATI driver from AMD's website but when I specify
fglrx in xorg.conf X doesn't launch, but the module loads.
dmesg | grep fglrx
[   12.403952] [fglrx] module loaded - fglrx 8.71.4 [Mar  2 2010] with 1
minors

lsmod | grep fglrx
fglrx                2236840  0

Does anyone have one of these working @ 1920x1080 resolution?
Or maybe offer some pointers to help me get up to 1920x1080?

You need an old (pre-1.7) X server to use 'fglrx', and you have to make sure to install kernel headers matching the same version of the kernel you are using, for 'fglrx'. It's possible that ATI will release a new 'fglrx' this month (or next) which is compatible with X server 1.7.X. (I haven't been using 'fglrx', though; I'm only interested in testing the open drivers, and helping to get them to work. If you just want to use the card in a normal way, you should probably try to get 'fglrx' to work until more features are provided by the "radeon" driver later this year.)

HTH,
Dave W.