Re: udev & /dev/sdaX & lenny2squeeze

On Fri, 9 Apr 2010 10:43:12 -0400 (EDT), Ionel Mugurel Ciobîcă wrote:
> On Fri, 9 Apr 2010 09:58:22 -0400 (EDT), Stephen Powell wrote:
>>
>> Migrating from Lenny to Squeeze (or any migration, really) is tricky.
>>

> I know. I manage fine from bo 2 hamm, from hamm 2 potato, from
> potato 2 woody, from woody 2 sarge and from sarge 2 lenny.

If you've been around that long, then why is it that you didn't know to
reply to the list instead of to me personally?  Please post *and* reply
*only* to the list.  You can CC someone if they ask for a CC, but always
include the list as one of your recipients.

>> You can't just change your /etc/apt/sources.list file to point to the
>> squeeze repositories and then do "aptitude update;aptitude full-upgrade".
>> The problem you are describing above is only the first of your problems
>> if you have done that.  You need to follow the upgrade outline mentioned
>> in the Release Notes.  You didn't say how you did it, and it's too late
>> in any case, but I just wanted to mention that while we're on the subject.
>
> I did this:
> - edit /etc/apt/sources.list (changed lenny/stable to squeeze/testing)
> - aptitude update
> - aptitude install apt dpkg aptitude
> - aptitude full-upgrade (few times)

That is not the proper procedure.  Read the release notes.
The most important step you missed is to issue "aptitude dist-upgrade"
*before* the "aptitude full-upgrade", but there are other steps you left
out as well.  I speak from experience.  I tried to upgrade a system from
Etch to Lenny by "winging it" and not following the upgrade procedure
listed in the release notes, and my system was almost unusable.  Fortunately
I had another system on which I had installed Lenny directly, and by comparing
installed packages between the install-Lenny-from-scratch system and the
upgrade-from-Etch-to-Lenny system I was eventually able to recover my system.
But it took many days.  Following the upgrade procedure in the release notes
is very important.  Take it from one who learned that the hard way.

>> Assuming that you did the migration properly, this may be a device name
>> issue.  There's been some problems with device names recently, particularly
>> with IDE hard disks.  It hasn't happened to me, but others have reported
>> device names going from /dev/hdx to /dev/sdx and back again with
>> subsequent maintenance.  You may have to boot from a rescue disk,
>> edit your /etc/fstab to change device names, according to what they
>> are now, and rebuild your initial RAM file system.
>
> That is not the issues.  The booting process manage to use /dev/sda5 as root
> but then it can't find the other /dev/sdaX. Indeed, ls /dev/sd* /dev/hd*
> shows no /dev/hd* files and onlu /dev/sdY, with Y=c,d,e,f,f1, not even
> /dev/sda5 which
> is already mounted as root.
>>
>> If that is the issue, an alternative to traditional device names is
>> to use UUIDs.
>
> In /dev/.udev/ are some entry with uuid, but they are for the external hdd
> (also sata) which is there as /dev/sdf.
>
> I don't understand why /dev/sda5 is mounted as root, then all /dev/sdaX are
> no longer available. dmesg | grep sda shows all partitions.
>
> This is not a kernel issue. I manually install a kernel (via the memory
> stick)
> from debian site (linux-image-2.6.32.1-3_i686.deb) and it is doing the same.
>
> I can boot fine with the rescue CD and chroot into the installed
> squeeze, but
> I don't know any more how to fix it.

Neither do I.  Maybe someone else has some ideas, but I'm out.  I don't know
about you, but I know what I would do if it were me.  I'd reinstall from
scratch.  (I always keep /home in a separate partition for just such
occasions as this.)  I'd reinstall from scratch and reformat the / partition.
If you don't have /home as a separate partition then back up the /home directory
somewhere first so you won't lose your personal files.  I strongly recommend
that you make /home a separate partition in your new install, if it isn't now.

I also recommend that you use the latest "daily build" development version
of the Debian installer if you want to install Squeeze directly.
That's the only version of the D-I that I trust to install Squeeze at this
point.  Good luck.

If I had known in advace how much work it was going to be to recover my damaged
system from a bad upgrade attempt, I wouldn't have even tried.  I would have
reinstalled from scratch.  You've got your system hosed up much worse than
mine was.  I recommend that you reinstall from scratch.  And next time,
read (and carefully follow) the release notes when you do an upgrade.

--
  .''`.     Stephen Powell    <zlinuxman@wowway.com>
 : :'  :