Re: NOW: Stay away from lshw! WAS: Retrieve hardware and modules info..

On 2010-04-04 17:19, Stan Hoeppner wrote:
With some Google help I figured out how to fix the missing
/var/lib/dpkg/available problem and got lshw removed.  Hopefully there's no
remaining hidden damage on my server.  I don't think I'll ever be messing
with lshw again.  It could be that it expects something my old server
doesn't have, and locks the machine when attempting to probe said
non-existent device.  Regardless, a production level (stable) information
gathering tool should never hard lock a machine, no matter what, nor cause
any kind of damage.  I could understand installing a beta device driver
doing this, but an information gathering tool causing a lockup?

Bah.  lshw has been around for many years.

In summary, based on my experience, I'd recommend everyone stay away from
lshw and use dmidecode or other tools instead.  lshw isn't worth the risk.

That's an awfully absolute statement based upon one data point.

Reminds me of that NY legislator who wants to ban restaurants from cooking with salt because his father used it to excess for years and then had a heart attack.

--
"History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak
or the timid."  Dwight Eisenhower