Installing a "backport"

Needing some project management software, I decided to install redmine. I purposely keep my system at the stable release. Redmine was marked as [backports] ie it's been pulled down from testing or experimental. OK thats fine, except when I tried to install the package most of the required library and support packages were too old to support redmine. If I update the individual required packages, will it break my existing stable software. Please be sure you are correct before replying.

Thanks

Gary R