Re: debian/testing systems stopped to boot after upgrade between 20.02 and 22.02

On Tue, 23 Feb 2010 08:48:31 +0100 wzab <wzab@ise.pw.edu.pl> shared
this with us all:

>Hi,
>
>I have two different debian/testing systems. The common feature is the
>Intel graphics chipset.
>Both of them stopped to boot after upgrade which I performed between
>20.02 and 22.02 (the last successful boot log is from the 20.02).
>After this time the screen gets black during boot and machine doesn't
>respond any more.
>
>What's interesting - on one machine the 2.6.32 kernel boots correctly,
>but the 2.6.32.8 doesn't (I attach configuration of both kernels)
>
>It seems, that the problem may be associated with the changes to xorg
>server?

Hello WZab,

My problem, or what I thought was a problem, as well. I have posted
about it here but I think this may be the new way that Debian wants
users to get to the login prompt?

The screen remains blank, but the machine is actually working, and
though you can see nothing it will take you to the login prompt. Just
watch the flickering light on the computer, when it stops I do this:

* type in the user name - then password, waiting a moment between
  because I often type it too quickly before the login has registered
  the user name and switched to password
* then type in startx
* You'll see your whole screen go from completely black without anything
  to a shade of dark grey without anything, and then, in my case at
  least, my ~/.xsession script cuts in, and xstarts

HTH
Charlie
--
Registered Linux User:- 329524

By avarice and selfishness, and a groveling habit, from which none of
us is free, of regarding the soil as property, or the means of
acquiring property chiefly, the landscape is deformed, husbandry is
degraded with us, and the farmer leads the meanest of lives. He knows
Nature but as a robber. ...Henry David Thoreau