Re: Undeletable files on UDF formatted HD

On Tue, 16 Feb 2010 20:26:05 +0800, Jason Heeris wrote:

>> ¿NTFS? It should fit some of your requirements (works on windows, linux
>> and MacOS -I think-) and allows ACL.
>
> It's not so much user ACL but the whole executable/read/write issue (I
> get a bit sick of 100s of, eg. photos being marked executable, and
> having to manually sort it out) — does NTFS support those kinds of
> attributes?

Yep :-)

In fact, NTFS has much more attributes than POSIX :-P

File Ownership and Permissions
http://pagesperso-orange.fr/b.andre/permissions.html

Anyway, I would only recommend going to NTFS in the event you've got a
windows system from where to perfom any maintenance tasks (scandisk and
defrag) natively.

>> A networked hard disk (stand-alone enclosure or attached to a computer
>> via samba/nfs/sshfs) is desiderable when several OS need access on it.
>> This way, filesystem does not matter at all :-)
>
> Unless there's no network ;) The context is me (a) spending 90% of my
> time on Debian, but (b) being able to unplug the drive, take it
> somewhere else, possibly with or without internet access or a LAN, and
> having a better-than-miniscule chance of reading and writing to it. But
> I think I should spend some more time doing some research (or give up
> and hope the target computer supports EXT2). It seems like an impossible
> problem — there's no intersection between {filesystems that do what I
> want} and {filesystems supported by certain complacent and closed
> operating systems} and {filesystems with up-to-date tools}.
>
> Besides, I already paid for the USB HDD :P

Yes, it is (still nowadays) a big issue.

- FAT32 is nice/flexible but has the 4 GiB filesize limits that can be a
real handycap if working with big files

- NTFS is a bit better in this regards, but is propietary software and
quite obfuscated though works well.

- Ext3 (or modern *NIX filesystems, such ReiserFS, XFS...) requiere some
thrird-party programs to be installed in Windows, and not sure how are
these filesystems handled by MacOS :-?

So yes, under this panorama UDF seemed the best alternative, but I think
is a bit unmature to be a trustworthy alternative.

We (users) are stuck :-)

Greetings,

--
Camaleón