No GNOME system sounds in Squeeze

OK, now it's my turn to ask for help.  I've finally gotten around to trying
to enable system sounds in GNOME under Squeeze, and I can't seem to get it
to work.  I've been able to get it to work under Lenny (see my web page
http://www.wowway.com/~zlinuxman/tp600.htm for example), but under Squeeze
it doesn't work.

Basic sound works.  (In other words, the "aplay" utility can be used
to play .wav files just fine.)  But the Squeeze version of GNOME (2.28.2)
appears to be quite different from the Lenny version of GNOME (2.22.3)
with respect to sound configuration.  When I click on
System -> Preferences -> Sound, I see something quite different than what
I see in 2.22.3.  I see a mixer-like window right off the bat, and there
are no "test" buttons.  When I click on the "Sound Theme" tab, everything
is grayed-out.  I can't select anything.  Also, the Enlightened Sound
Daemon is apparently not running, according to "ps aux", even though I
have the esound, esound-clients, and esound-common packages installed.
Nor does there appear to be any startup script in /etc/init.d/ that
would start it.  The gnome-audio package is also installed.  And yes,
I rebooted after installing those packages.

I searched the built-in gnome help, but to no avail.  I searched
wiki.debian.org, but to no avail.  I searched the internet, but found nothing
promising on the first few pages.  Surely there's someone out there
who has gotten GNOME system sounds working under Squeeze.  Any ideas?