Suspend/Hibernate under Debian

Hi,

I'm trying to get Suspend/Hibernate works with my Debian Laptop. Please
recommend a good article/blog/site for me to follow.

I've done some extensive search, but it's still not working. I first
tried suspend to ram (because I know suspend to disk need extra work),
but the symptom is similar to

Laptop won't resume from suspend to ram
http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.debian.user/370058/focus=370097

My case: the machine won't resume from a suspend to ram. It's not
just a problem with a blank screen upon resuming; the machine
actually gets completely frozen. I can hear the hard disk
spinning though. and I can see the the wireless LED come on when
resuming, then nothing else. Ctrl-Alt-F1, Ctrl-Alt-Del, and even Caplock
keys won't respond.

Following suggestions from it, I did

PM_DEBUG=1 pm-suspend (as root)
and check the log file /var/log/pm-suspend.log, and it seems to have
suspended fine.

The last several meaningful lines are:

+ [ Thu Jan 28 17:48:01 EST 2010: performing suspend = -n ]
+ printf %s\n Thu Jan 28 17:48:01 EST 2010: performing suspend
Thu Jan 28 17:48:01 EST 2010: performing suspend
+ sync
+ do_suspend
+ echo -n mem

And after that all garbage.

The Suspend/resume works out of box in Unbunto, on my Acer Aspire
(AS5536). I wasn't able to test Hibernation under Unbunto because it is
not available.

Please help.

Thanks

PS. I'll quote one page that I found that precisely express my
frustration:

"I’ve been working with Linux for ten years now. I have seen issues come
and I have seen them go. But there’s one issue that has always surprised
me because it just seems to never go away: Suspend/Hibernate. I am always
so surprised about this because it just seems like a fundamental issue on
laptops - and let’s face it, laptops are standard issue for many people -
you close the lid, the laptop suspends.

... it seems to me that hibernate and suspend IS a need that should be
given a high priority.

And it seems it is starting to gain some traction. There’s a new site
called the Ubuntu Brainstorm that allows users to add ideas for Ubuntu
and vote up or down ideas that are already posted (as well as comment on
ideas)..."

http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/opensource/?p=175&tag=rbxccnbtr1

--
Tong (remove underscore(s) to reply)