Re: current debian/lenny (stable) support for various RAID chipsets

On Mon, 11 Jan 2010 15:53:05 +0000, michael wrote:

> Folks, I'm wondering where best to find out if Debian Lenny has support
> for the SATA/RAID chipsets on my Asus A8V Deluxe mobo, specifically the
> Promise PDC20378 and VIA VT8237 controllers? I'd date to buy a new SATA
> disk and find I can't use it! Please let me know if I've missed out any
> vital info

Not specific for Debian, but you have a list of sata raid chipsets and
their status in this page:

http://linuxmafia.com/faq/Hardware/sata.html

Side note: if you are considering mounting a RAID system, I would avoid
using the so-called "fakeraid" chipsets (BIOS/RAID and driver -or dm-
dependendant) and better go with a pure linux software raid (md).

Another good option should be acquiring a real hardware raid card but
they are a bit expensive.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón