Re: Can you help me with my login screen problem?

On Sat, Jan 09, 2010 at 12:08:41AM -0800, Lee Clark wrote:

> I am really new to this though I have tried several times over the years since 92.
> I installed debian on this HP compaq about 3 weeks ago.
> Some how I have screwed up the login screen.
> It loads up and starts X and it was giving me a login screen.
> Now all I get is a black screen, it still plays the sound so I know I can login but with out the screen I am blind.
> Some one sugested I do a get uninstall i think of gdm which I did followed with a get install gdm.
> I am using it now so I can log in blind and it loads it all but being black makes it hard to do any thing.

After you boot, you can hit ctrl-alt-F2 to get a console login prompt.
Log in as root and run "dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg".  That'll attempt
to reconfigure the xserver.

Then run "/etc/init.d/gdm restart" (assuming you're using the default
installation) and see if your graphics come back.

If that didn't work, hit ctrl-alt-F2 and login as root (if root is not
already logged in).  Run "/etc/init.d/gdm stop", followed by
"X -configure", then "/etc/init.d/gdm start".  See if that gets you back
in business.

-Rob