Re: Recovering data from NTFS disk

Jochen Schulz wrote:
> KS:
>>
>> I have already started testdisk and it is analysing the disk since the
>> last hour or so. Should be finished soon.
>
> Good luck!
>
>> It might give me an hint as to what is the status of the disk.

No, it coudn't find any partition table after 2 passes.

I started photorec and it has found hundred's of files. It says it will
take around 20 more hours to finish.

> Install smartmontools and try to run smartctl -a /dev/sdb on it. Then
> post the output. It might be that smartctl doesn't work over USB. In
> that case you would have to connect the disk directly via SATA/IDE.

The HDD is connected to internal SATA connector. Sadly, the external USB
drives sold these days don't have the capability of reading SMART data.
I have an old WD external disk which does, but a newer Lacie does not
and it doesn't spin down the HDD either!

Waiting for photorec to finish.

/ks