Re: how to get mac address

In <[🔎] 1262814712.27527.5.camel@ubuntu>, Vadkan Jozsef wrote:
>How can I get the MAC address of a computer, if it isn't in the same
>network segment?

MAC addresses are not normally used for network identification outside of
their segment.  In addition, none of the higher level protocols in common use
contain the MAC address in their headers.

>e.g.: can I get the MAC from a normal, public IP?
>
>There is no solution for this?

1. See if they are mis-advertising their IPv6 auto-configuration address as a
public IPv6 address, perhaps through an AAAA record.

2. Traceroute the system.  The last machine in the traceroute that is not the
target probably on the same network segment.  Crack that machine.[*]  Verify
it is on the same network segment.  If not, start again with a traceroute from
this system.  If so, you can use ARP directly, tcpdump -e, some versions of
ping, or nmap to determine the MAC address of a computer on the same segment.

* That would most likely be illegal.  Don't to it.  Don't blame me if you
can't, or get caught.