Re: Two computers in one: two users each with their own accounts, monitor, and keyboard?

On Wednesday 06 January 2010 02:58:48 Dotan Cohen wrote:
> I have a desktop computer with onboard VGA and option to add a
> discrete video card. It has plenty of spare USB ports for mice and
> keyboards.
>
> Does Debian support using this computer for _two_ workstations, each
> with their own user accounts, monitor, and keyboard?

From what I understand about Linux in general, no.  At the very least, doing
so your be overly complicated.

The first problem to solve is getting two separate X sessions to run at the
same time, but using separate hardware.  It should be possible, but I've never
tried it.  You'd have to write two fairly complex xorg.conf files to make sure
the inputs and outputs are explicit and that X completely ignores the other
hardware -- neither session can (e.g.) try to "turn off" the unused
inputs/outputs.  Then you'd want to start them on the same "virtual terminal",
something which will only work if your xorg.conf files are correct AND Xorg
and the kernel don't actively try and prevent this.

If you can get that working, you should be able to run a login manager on each
session.  Then two different (or the same) user could login to each session.
I guess the login manager is actually responsible to starting the X session,
but once you could get two sessions running at the same time on the same vt,
it should be relatively easy to start two login managers -- one for set of
hardware / xorg.conf.

If you even got that far, you'd still have some interference issues.  Things
like Ctrl+Alt+Fx or Alt+SysRq+x would still affect all of the hardware by
switching to another virtual terminal.  Modern login managers probably even
have some facility for using and switching to other virtual terminals, which
would switch both sets of hardware.  I'd wager that all of these could be
disabled, for either all keyboards or all but one, but I don't know how off
the top of my head.

I think it would be easier simply scale the second computer down to a "thin
client".  It would need it's own CPU, RAM, and I/O but it should be able to
mount most file-systems via ro-nfs with a few filesystems mounted with rw-nfs
(or nbd/iscsi/eata) after netbooting.  It would run its own Xorg instance, but
use XDMCP to (graphically) login to the primary computer, such that all the X
programs would run on the primary computer, and all the user settings/data
would be on the primary computer -- users wouldn't even need a login to the
thin client.

Without hard disks, and needing only enough CPU power to run X, the second
system could be *very* small.  Since it could share (at least) /usr with the
main system, it wouldn't need to be separately updated much.

This post turned out a lot longer and a lot less informative than I had hoped.

TLDR: No; look into something like LTSP, but small-scale.