Re: Re: apt pinning question

>> Another way to look at this would be to ask...
>>
>> Given two available versions of a package where the higher version has
>> the lower priority, how do I get apt to automatically install the
>> lower priority one when the higher version is required to meet a
>> dependency?
>
> If the higher version is required to meet a dependency, why don't you
> want it installed?

Sorry I wasn't clear enough with priority and version, an example might help.

Imagine we are trying to install package Bob from testing with
"apt-get install bob/testing".
Package Bob depends on package Fred with version >= 1.1

We have these two candidates for package Fred:
stable, priority 500, version 1.0
testing, priority 400, version 1.1

And Apt says:

  bob: Depends: fred but it is not going to be installed

As I understand it this is because it chose the priority 500 version
which isn't sufficient to meet the dependency.

> Apt is going to try to meet the dependency.

I wish it would, but it doesn't and I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong.
As far as I can see it ALWAYS goes for the the higher priority version
even if that won't meet the dependency.