Re: Lost my window manager

On Sun, 8 Nov 2009 04:36:08 -0600
"Boyd Stephen Smith Jr." <bss@iguanasuicide.net> dijo:

> In <[🔎] 20091107124017.GW11145@wasteland.homelinux.net>, Jochen Schulz wrote:
> >John Jason Jordan:
> >> I do like Debian testing so far, in spite of the issues I am having.
> >
> >Oh, you are using testing? I must have missed that. You shouldn't do
> >that as a desktop user with no intention to dig into internals and write
> >bug reports.
>
> You don't have to dig into internals, just be willing to help bug wranglers
> and patch builders reproduce the bug.  Testing/unstable user aren't expected
> to fix bugs on their own, just provide assistance to the maintainer(s) and
> upstream(s).
>
> Testing or unstable can be more suitable for some users that expect new
> upstream releases to propagate to their system quickly.  Unstable means
> changing constantly; not broken -- issues get fixed in unstable with much less
> turn-around than testing or stable.

In the years I used Ubuntu I filed numerous bug reports. I also
participated fairly heavily in the forums. I would continue that
activity with Debian testing.

However, in the present situation I cannot file a bug report. Bugs need
to be reproducible, but I cannot say what I did that triggered losing
the window manager and gnome panel. It may be of some benefit that the
saga is documented here. Perhaps this will happen to someone else
someday and they will be able to add something that helps track down
what happened.

Since my last post here I have discovered some other things that are
broken. For example, clicking on Places > Home Folder generates an
error that there is no application registered to open the file. Ditto
for Places > Desktop. Yet Nautilus comes up fine if I click on Places >
Computer, and from that window I can navigate to ~/ and ~/Desktop. Very
strange. Apparently launching gnome-panel from the command line as
"gnome-panel" does not load some parts that gnome-panel needs. Or
perhaps gnome-panel and metacity are not the only missing parts.

Because I have not yet been able to figure out how to make metacity and
gnome-panel start automatically on booting as they are supposed to,
plus the additional issues recently discovered, I have decided to wipe
it out and reinstall. Not all the effort I put into installing it is
wasted, because a lot of time was spent figuring out how to migrate
things from Ubuntu. The reinstall should go faster.