Re: What's best way to use Debian w/o my laptop? Flash + union?

No, those etherwake packets are not IP packets, they're "raw" ethernet
packets and are hence not routable over the internet: you can only send
them from a machine on the same physical ethernet network.
I agree.  But there are other tools that send the magic packet as UDP.
That way you can send the packet to a local subnet broadcast address
and still have the machine wake up.

Interesting.  Do you have more info about that?
You can check out the Wikipedia article on WOL. If you want a more technical reference check out the AMD whitepaper linked in the article.