Re: Back up routines

On Tue, 28 Jul 2009 11:08:24 -0400
Eric Gerlach <egerlach@feds.uwaterloo.ca> wrote:

Hello Eric,

> 2. Pay Amazon $3/mo and don't worry about it;

Ron's already pointed out that, at the drop of a hat, Amazon can just
delete your account.

If relying on one 3rd party for backups you should worry.  Probably a
lot.

For example, I can do backups and store the data in two places easily.
I'll wager that Amazon don't have one set of your data in (say) New
York, and another set in (for argument's sake) Toronto.  There'll just
be the one set.  If that site goes offline, your backups are as much use
as a chocolate teapot.

In any case, the *real* cost issue WRT to backing data up is not how
much the storage costs, but how much it would cost to _manually_
re-enter all the data.  This will, inevitably, be a lot more than the
cost of an HD or two.

--
 Regards  _

There's no point in asking you'll get no reply
Pretty Vacant - Sex Pistols