Re: Xmodmap & sound keys.

On 16 Jul 2009, Edward Jabbour wrote:
>    As on many laps, this machine has keys for mute, up and down.  I have
>    the proper keycodes in ~/.Xmodmap, but I can't get them to work at all.
>    ran the verbose option and got:
>    [Thu Jul 16] edj:~$ xmodmap -verbose .Xmodmap
>    ! .Xmodmap:
>    ! 1:  keycode 174 = XF86AudioLowerVolume
>            keycode 0xae = XF86AudioLowerVolume
>    ! 2:  keycode 176 = XF86AudioRaiseVolume
>            keycode 0xb0 = XF86AudioRaiseVolume
>    ! 3:  keycode 160 = XF86AudioMute
>            keycode 0xa0 = XF86AudioMute
>    !
>    ! executing work queue
>    !
>            keycode 0xae = XF86AudioLowerVolume
>            keycode 0xb0 = XF86AudioRaiseVolume
>            keycode 0xa0 = XF86AudioMute
>    If anyone sees anything I've missed here, I'm all ears.

Have you tried running them at the command line, e.g.
 /usr/bin/xmodmap -e "keycode 0xae = XF86AudioLowerVolume" ?

If they don't work at the command line they presumably won't work in
.Xmodmap. Actually, I found that my .Xmodmap wasn't working after a
recent upgrade (don't remember the details) and now I put the commands
in .xinitrc.

Anthony

--
Anthony Campbell - ac@acampbell.org.uk