Re: X11 without HAL: "DontZap" in /etc/X11/xorg.conf doesn't work anymore

On Thu, Jul 16, 2009 at 06:16:51PM -0500, Nate Bargmann wrote:
> * Alex Samad <alex@samad.com.au> [2009 Jul 16 17:46 -0500]:
> > HAL has been a pain for me, because of my laptop and my need to attach
> > things to the laptop whilst its on, thus hal mount things all over the
> > place and does things the system wasn't doing before.
>
> I'm puzzled by this and HAL does not mount *anything* on my machines
> until I tell it to.  I am using KDE 3.5 and 4.2 and in neither case
> will a device be mounted automatically, I must initiate it on my own.
> It seems as though automounting of the type I understand you describing
> is a desktop environment issue?  I did no special configuration of HAL
> to acheive this either.

well, when I installed HAL, i noticed when I docked my laptop in its
docking station I suddenly had the extra drive mounted on /medi/... and
when I pluggde in usb keys they started to appear on the desktop as well

I associated this with HAL - as it was the last package I installed
before these things started to happen. I stopped them by placing a efi
file to tell it to ignore these devices, I already have udev rules and
fstab user rules to allow me to mount them as needed.

> OTOH, HAL along with udev is invaulable to me for making a USB to
> serial adapter available without issue or a USB sound card I use for
> amateur radio work.  It's just there once it's plugged in with no
> writing of arcane rules or trying to determine kernel device names by
> diggin through /var/log/syslog when some new device is plugged in for
> the first time.

I have written 1 line udev rules to handle my devices written once and
thats all i need

> I'm no HAL fanboi as I really don't care if it's HAL, udev, or the
> kernel making my life easier and more convenient.

I am all for convenience, but I am also for the right to choose, sounds
like HAL is not really needed for X, so it should be a recommends and
not a depends.

Alex
PS - upon looking at the preferences I posted earlier looks like I was
wrong, its all commented out

--
"I'm so pleased to be able to say hello to Bill Scranton. He's one of the great Pennsylvania political families."

	- George W. Bush
09/15/2003
Drexel Hill, Penn.