Re: X11 without HAL: "DontZap" in /etc/X11/xorg.conf doesn't work anymore

On Fri, 17 Jul 2009 07:02:19 +1000
Alex Samad <alex@samad.com.au> wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 16, 2009 at 04:57:44PM -0400, Celejar wrote:
> > On Fri, 17 Jul 2009 06:39:16 +1000
> > Alex Samad <alex@samad.com.au> wrote:

> > > isn't this because it writes out HAL efi files ?
> > > /etc/hal/fdi/policy/preferences.fdi
> >
> > Not sure what you mean; I currently have xfce's automounting enabled,
> > and that file you mention is virtually empty (it contains a couple of
> > commented out examples, and not much else.
> I also have the xfce4 automount options off and it looks to me like it
> has set them in this file
>
> <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?> <!-- -*- SGML -*- -->
>
> <!--
>   Some examples how to use hal fdi files for system preferences
>   You can either uncomment the examples here or put them in a seperate
> .fdi
>   file.
> -->
> <deviceinfo version="0.2">
> <!--
>   The following shows how to hint gnome-volume-manager and other
> programs
>   that honor the storage.automount_enabled_hint to not mount
> non-removable
>   media.
> -->
> <!--
>   <device>
>     <match key="storage.hotpluggable" bool="false">
>       <match key="storage.removable" bool="false">
>         <merge key="storage.automount_enabled_hint"
> type="bool">false</merge>
>       </match>
>     </match>
>   </device>
> -->
> </deviceinfo>
>

> What I was trying to suggest is that you were using hal even though you
> thought you were not.

I have the same file.  There's nothing in it, since those stanzas are
commented out, and they seem to remain commented out, even when I
enable automounting in xfce.  Are you suggesting that xfce changes the
file?  I don't think that it does.

In any event, those stanzas aren't to enable automounting, but to
disable it for non-removable media, and besides, as Kelly points out,
they're just hints to the automounter, which does any actual work, and
is configured separately, so once again, Dirk's claim that HAL somehow
hijacks his ability to mount as he sees fit is simply incorrect.

Celejar