Re: Debian+LVM+RAID

On Wed, Jul 08, 2009 at 11:16:04PM -0600, lee wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 09, 2009 at 02:13:25PM +1000, Alex Samad wrote:
>
> > md0 = sda1 + sdb1
> > md1 = sda2 + sdb2
> > md3 = sda3 + sdb3
> >
> > md0 = /boot (ext2)
> > md1 = / (ext3)
> > md2 = lvm physical device
> >
> > Then on LVM
> >
> > size of memory = swap partition
> > 1G = ext3  mount point /var/log
> >
> > Then chop up the rest lvm for /home or ???
>
> Creating a swap partition on a software RAID device isn't ideal. It is
> better to create a swap partition on each of the physical devices and
> give them the same priority (in /etc/fstab). That's only one example,
> you could also use a disk that isn't part of the RAID and have only
> one swap partition ...

what happens if there is something important swapped out and that drive
dies ?  I could understand not wanting to put it on lvm and then raid1.

> BTW, wouldn't you rather create a partitionable RAID from the whole
> disks and then partition that? If not, why not? (Letting aside where
> to put the swap partition ...)

I have had to rescue machines and having a simple boot + / make like a
lot simpler  - why make life hard

--
"We don't believe in planners and deciders making the decisions on behalf of Americans."

	- George W. Bush
09/06/2000
Scranton, PA