Re: changing to UTF-8

> > I still see characters such as hyphens
> > (-), boldface pipes, and single quotes rendered as â (circumflex-a) in my
> > terminal windows.  If I set LANG=en_US.ISO-8859-1, then the characters are
> > shown correctly.
>
> Your locale setup is fine.  The problem here is that your terminal is
> interpreting its input at ISO-8859-1 rather than UTF-8.  You haven't
> told us which terminal you are using, but most have an option to set
> this.  For terminals running on Linux, they usually default to the
> locale charmap, but you may have explicitly set the encoding a while
> back.

Thanks, you are correct.  I was starting to figure this out.  Changing my
terminal encoding to UTF-8 and choosing a different font fixes the problem.  I
use PuTTY and Konsole, and both allow me to set the terminal encoding, although
in Konsole at least I was surprised that I do have to force it to use UTF-8--
choosing Default for the encoding doesn't fix the problem.

> > I think this is a font problem, but I just don't know how to diagnose it.
>
> Your terminal will also need to use a font containing glyphs for the
> UTF-8 characters you will be using, but for the ISO-8859-1 subset
> you were using previously your existing font should be just fine.
> Deja Vu Sans Mono is what I use since it contains a wide range of
> Unicode characters and it also looks quite nice.

Yes, Deja Va Sans Mono seems to have all of the characters that were previously
showing up wrong in man pages.

It's strange though, that a very common character that was being printed wrong
is the hyphen.  Only certain fonts get this right.

Oh well, it's working now with only minimal pain.  Thanks very much for your
help.

Andrew.