Re: A-posteriori use of another HDD for the /home/username

Hi,

I have not investigated all the postings ...

On Fri, Dec 25, 2009 at 11:20:49PM +0100, Merciadri Luca wrote:
> I re-tried exactly the same thing, but with the same contents on both
> HDDs (proved with a diff). I had to use
>
> # cp --recursive --update .[a-zA-Z0-9]* /mnt/mymnttosdc5

The root cause of problem is you used "cp --recursive --update * blh ...".
Since things may have messed up somewhere, it is better to do it over.

# cd /mnt/mymnttosdc5
# rm -rf * .*
rm: cannot remove directory `.'
rm: cannot remove directory `..'
# cd
# cp -a ./ /mnt/mymnttosdc5
# vim /etc/fstab
... set up mount for your new home for next boot
# mount -t auto /dev/sdc5 /mnt/mymnttosdc5

Check how things are working.

Of OK, reboot.

Check how things are working again.

> If the only way to make it is to use the symlink, no problem, but the
> `cd'-related question still remains...

Did you set up fstab.  Read "man 8 mount".

Also:
http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-reference/ch09.en.html#_optimization_of_filesystem_by_mount_options
http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-reference/ch09.en.html#_data_storage_tips

Osamu