Re: can't get CUPS working with Xerox Phaser 6280DN

On Tue, 22 Dec 2009 13:14:11 -0500, I wrote:

> I am failing to get CUPS working with a new Xerox Phaser 6280DN color laser
> printer connected by USB.  The OS is Debian Lenny.  The printer and driver
> seem to be installed OK ... However, the jobs get queued and don't print.

On Tue, 22 Dec 2009 23:03:58 +0100, Robert David replied:

> I suggest you try look at splix package and its supported printers.

I may try that if I have to give up on CUPS, but this is a PostScript
printer, so I thought CUPS should work.

> Look also in /var/log/cups/error_log and post it.

Once I started monitoring that file, I didn't see any errors.  However, there
were errors from attempts earlier in the day.  I don't know just which actions
caused each of these, but here's the full list (minus duplicates):

  Cancel-Job: Unauthorized
  Pause-Printer: Unauthorized
  Resume-Printer: Unauthorized
  PID 12307 (/usr/lib/cups/daemon/cups-driverd) crashed on signal 9!
  Unable to get PPD file /printers/laserjet_4_plus.ppd: 404 - Not Found

> Check if you have all the foomatic stuff (foomatic-filters, foomatic-db,
> ghostscript, etc).

Yes, I have all of those and foomatic-rip too.

Since my original post, I have printed with ease from a Vista laptop to the
printer on USB, so the printer and cable can be said to work.

Another weird observation is that I sometimes find copies of the PPD file
(/etc/cups/ppd/Phaser_6280DN.ppd) in /tmp with names like "4b313635a5336".
Again, I'm not sure just what operation causes that.  I've been trying a lot
of things,

Thanks.