Re: USB disk shows up late at boot

On Tue, 22 Dec 2009 17:26:20 -0500
Paul Cartwright <ale@pcartwright.com> wrote:

> On Tue December 22 2009, Celejar wrote:
> > Try 'make menuconfig', or copy over a config file from a running kernel
> > of the same version.
>
> I downloaded 2.6.32.2 from kernel.org
> config file from my kernel? 2.6.26.2 ?
>  would that work, and what is the config file?

What I meant was that if you build the source of a kernel that you
already have running on your system (e.g., from a debian package), then
you can copy over the config file that accompanies that kernel.  For
example, let's say I have some linux-image-2.6.32* package installed
(for when my custom kernel breaks, or when I need immediate support for
something, and I don't have the time to build the support into my
custom kernel).  If I wanted to build a custom 2.6.32, I'd download
some source for that version (either package 'linux-source-2.6.32', or
from kernel.org), and then copy over '/boot/config/config-2.6.32*' into
the source directory.

Copying over a config from an earlier kernel may work, but it may
leave some options not configured optimally.  Even so, it will probably
be good for a starting point, which you can then look over and modify.

What I actually do is, whenever I build a new version, I begin by
copying my custom configuration into the new source directory, and then
look through it to see what interesting new options are there.

Celejar