Re: [ANNOUNCE] apt-offline 0.9.6 released

#include <hallo.h>
* Ritesh Raj Sarraf [Tue, Dec 22 2009, 01:24:13PM]:

> I'm pleased to announce apt-offline version 0.9.6.

Wait a second, unless I am mistaken it's an implementation of the
traditional "Using APT Offline" howto from Jason Gunthorpe, this time
with additional requirement of Python.

If yes, maybe you should tell this upfront?

> Please see the git log for full details.

Where is it?

> apt-offline is an Offline APT Package Manager for APT based systems, i.e. mostly
> Debian and Debian derived distributions.

And what does "managing the packages" mean in this context? Maybe you
mean: download manager for package files?

> apt-offline can fully update/upgrade your disconnected Debian box without the
> need of connecting it to the network.
>
> * It works by generating a signature of the disconnected box.

Is that a signature? A signature is something short you write down with
a pen for identification purposes, basically equivalent to a short
checksum in data processing.

AFAICS what you use is a plain flat database, i.e. an URL list generated
by apt.

> * You carry the signature to a net connected box running anything
> (Windows/Linux/Mac)

And the system requirements on that net connected box are... what?
That's an important detail, IMHO.

Regards,
Eduard.