Re: USB disk shows up late at boot

On Mon, 21 Dec 2009 21:07:08 -0500
Paul Cartwright <ale@pcartwright.com> wrote:

> On Mon December 21 2009, Stan Hoeppner wrote:
> > I do:  stick with your homegrown kernel.
> >
> > (From the guy who only uses custom kernels)
>
> what would I gain from using a custom kernel, what would it take to
> make/install one, ( a how-to?).
> for a "regular" desktop user, web, email... what advantage is there??

Many argue, not much, but I can see the following:

1)  Faster booting, since irrelevant drivers aren't loaded and won't
spend time probing.

2)  Security - one of these null pointer dereferences that they keep
discovering can't hurt you if it's in code that hasn't been included.

3)  Education - it's an unbeatable way to get a deeper knowledge of
your system.

4)  Flexibility and control

Note that I'm not expert, and these are just my opinions, and may even
be factually incorrect.

Celejar