Re: can't install laser driver supplied as rpm

On Mon, 21 Dec 2009 13:31:20 -0500, I wrote:

> However, when I try to install this
>   apt-get -V install xerox-phaser-6280_1.0-2_all.deb
> it fails as follows

On Mon, 21 Dec 2009 16:35:16 -0200, Eduardo M KALINOWSKI replied:

> To install .debs you use dpkg -i <file-name>.deb, not apt-get.

Thank you, that worked fine, and I even used to know that.  Apparently my
brain went on a sympathy strike with my VMware XP client, which had been
putting up blue screens of death when confronted with a new USB laser.  I'll
be testing the Linux driver and also a network connection from the VM.

At Mon, 21 Dec 2009 19:33:52 +0000 (UTC), noelamac@gmail.com wrote:

> If it's a PostScript based printer, you can just extract the
> corresponding PPD file ("Xerox_Phaser_6280DN.ppd" in your case) and
> install it with Cups. No need to install the rpm package at all.

Thanks.  I hadn't been aware of that option.