Re: Debian Etch Install

On Sun, Dec 20, 2009 at 04:35:26PM EST, Stan Hoeppner wrote:

[..]

> To be completely honest, I can't understand for the life of me why
> anyone would install any Linux distro from local media these days.  By
> the time the media hits the shelves, there are hundreds of security
> updates you have to pull from the web.  It makes more sense to do a
> net install and get all the sec updates right off the bat.

Maybe because the above information is not readily available anywhere,
apparently not a www.debian.org:

Getting Started

The latest stable release of Debian is 5.0. The last update to this
release was made on September 5th, 2009. Read more about available
versions of Debian.

If you'd like to start using Debian, you can easily obtain a copy, and
then follow the installation instructions to install it.

If you're upgrading to the latest stable release from a previous
version, please read the release notes before proceeding.

To get help in using or setting up Debian, see our documentation and
support pages.

Users that speak languages other than English should check the
international section.

People who use systems other than Intel x86 should check the ports
section.

Any mention of "net install" in the above..? Or anything of practical
interest to anyone "Getting Started", for that matter?

There is the cryptic "you can easily obtain a copy..".

Seems to be precisely what the OP did.

> Long live the net install.

+1

Let's add this to www.debian.org, say what it is, how it's done..