Re: motherboard battery low?

On Fri, 18 Dec 2009 12:27:11 -0600, Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:

> I have a 4.5 year old Epox 8VTAI mobo whose battery has never been
> changed.
>
> I just noticed that the time does not step when the power is off.
>
> Is that because the battery is low on power?

What changes, BIOS time or operating system time? :-?

If it's BIOS time, at least it seems a symptom of "low battery".

> I don't suppose there is a way to change the battery without losing all
> the BIOS settings.

What I do is to write down the BIOS values of *any* section (or take a
snapshot with dsc camera). Then change the battery, and before the system
starts, enter into the BIOS and manually restore/check the values.

Important ones are hard disk "sata modes" (sata, ahci, raid) if present.

> What is a way to check the motherboard battery?

Dunno for old motherboards :-?

It's quite possible that today's newer models come with some integrated
"led" into the board to warn the user about this.

I've heard that some Gigabyte motherboards use embedded "dual-bios", so
in the event one gets corrupted, you still have the "secondary". That's a
nice feature :-)

Greetings,

--
Camaleón