Re: Compiling Linux kernel

Hi, Kumar.

On Thursday, 17 December 2009 18:40:07 -0600,
Kumar Appaiah wrote:

> > I am trying to compile Linux 2.6.32 with the source code of kernel.org.
> > Kernel that I'm using at the moment is 2.6.26-2-686 of the Debian
> > GNU/Linux repositories.
> >
> > In order to generate the configuration, I've copied the file
> > corresponding to this kernel to the directory of sources,
> > /usr/src/linux, and I've executed make menuconfig:

> > # cd /usr/src/linux-2.6.32
> > # cp /boot/config-`uname -r` ./.config
> >
> > # make ARCH=x86_64 menuconfig
> >
> > But when I execute 'make', restart config becomes and I'm interrogated
> > on some details of the configuration:

> > antares:/usr/src/linux# make
> >   HOSTLD  scripts/kconfig/conf
> > scripts/kconfig/conf -s arch/x86/Kconfig
> > *
> > * Restart config...
> > *
> > *
> > * RCU Subsystem
> > *
> > RCU Implementation
> > > 1. Tree-based hierarchical RCU (TREE_RCU)
> > choice[1]: 1
> > Enable tracing for RCU (RCU_TRACE) [N/y/?] n
> > Tree-based hierarchical RCU fanout value (RCU_FANOUT) [32] (NEW)
> >
> > Something similar happens when compiling using the Debian way.
> >
> > I have the impression that 'make' is taking like reference the
> > configuration in /boot/ and the one that is in /usr/src/linux and when
> > finding differences, it interrogates to me on some things. Is it
> > possible? Under other circumstances, which can be the problem?

> Well, the kernel build does check what your current config is, and
> based on that, asks you some new questions. One way I get around this
> is:
>
> cd <kernel-build-directory>
> cp /boot/config-$(uname -r) .config
> make menuconfig # choose the options you want.
> Run make-kpkg to build my kernel deb.
>
> The make menuconfig step refreshes your config, so that you can skip
> the "interrogation" step.

These steps are similar to which I'm doing, although not to the Debian
way:

# cd /usr/src/linux-2.6.32
# cp /boot/config-`uname -r` ./.config
# make ARCH=x86_64 menuconfig
# make

The "interrogation" step comes when doing "make".

But it seems that it is obtaining some things of the configuration in
/boot/, because in the questions I see (without form to be able to
modify) that the family is Pentium-Pro (M686) and in
/usr/src/linux/.config I have:

CONFIG_64BIT=y
# CONFIG_X86_32 is not set
CONFIG_X86_64=y
CONFIG_X86=y

Thanks for your reply.

Regards,
Daniel
--
Fingerprint: BFB3 08D6 B4D1 31B2 72B9  29CE 6696 BF1B 14E6 1D37