Re: eSATA woes

On Thu, 17 Dec 2009 11:37:53 -0500, Gregory Seidman wrote:

> I've been running a RAID1 on Firewire for years, but I really want SMART
> monitoring and SATA drives (and enclosures) keep getting cheaper. I'm
> running on older hardware with only PCI slots, no PCI-E or PCI-X, so I
> picked up a PCI SATA card with two SATA ports and two eSATA ports. It
> shows up in lspci like this:
>
> 0001:10:12.0 RAID bus controller: Silicon Image, Inc. SiI 3124 PCI-X
> Serial ATA Controller (rev 02)

Just a hint: check the BIOS of the card (you usually get there by
pressing F8 key) and look whether it has been setup to function as a RAID
device or JBOD.

My "wild guess" is that a RAID configuration could be a bit problematic
and thus avoiding/interfering the communication with external e-sata
ports.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón