Re: NTP setting

On Tue, Dec 15, 2009 at 09:59:00PM -0600, Stan Hoeppner wrote:
> Rob Owens put forth on 12/15/2009 7:35 PM:
> > On Wed, Dec 16, 2009 at 09:59:36AM +0900, J.H.Kim wrote:
> >> Hi, everyone
> >>
> >> I have a 2 PCs in my office and they are not connected to internet.
> >> But I wish to synchronize the 2PC.
> >> One is for time server and one is for time client.
> >> Is it possible to use NTP for the purpose?
> >> How I can config NTP server with local time?
> >>
> > Near the end of /etc/ntp.conf:
> >
> > # If you want to provide time to your local subnet, change the next
> > # line.
> > # (Again, the address is an example only.)
> > #broadcast 192.168.123.255
> >
> > I believe this works even if your time server is not synchronizing
> > itself with another server.
>
> You forgot to tell him how to configure the ntp client machine.  IIRC,
> the default behavior is _not_ to listen for a broadcast server.  The
> Lenny install default is to query the *.pool.ntp.org servers.

Oops!

Configure the client by including this line in /etc/ntp.conf:

server myserver.mydomain.net

And make sure there are no other "server" lines in that file, pointing
to servers that cannot be reached (such as 0.debian.pool.ntp.org)

Actually, /etc/ntp.conf is pretty well commented, and not especially
long.  You should take a look at it.

-Rob