Re: ECC Ram (Was: Debian 5.0 & 64 bits)

amka put forth on 12/15/2009 3:08 PM:
> Le mardi 15 décembre 2009 à 10:34 -0800, Kelly Clowers a écrit :

>>> I have read the latest Intel chipsets (Core i7 - Bloomfield) do not allow
>>> ECC RAM.
>>>
>>> Quite rare :-?
>> Yes, I think on the Intel side you have to go with a Xeon to get ECC.
>> At least some Phenoms and such support ECC though.
>
> Yes, it does, but not registred ECC, isn't it ? I think it's better
> both.
>
> Unfortunatly, it seems that only the Opterons 2xxx can work with this.

Time to stop jaw jacking on this.  Keep your current PC and buy this for
your db server.  It's got everything you want and need at a decent used
price, including ECC memory:

http://cgi.ebay.com/HP-Proliant-DL585-Quad-AMD-852-2-6Ghz-8GBRam-Server_W0QQitemZ370306750655QQcmdZViewItemQQptZCOMP_EN_Servers?hash=item56380098bf

Enter the SmartArray BIOS utility, wipe the current drive config, create
a RAID 10 set.  From the Debian installer, on the resulting 146GB RAID
10 disk, create a 100MB partition for /boot, a 4GB swap partition, and a
20GB partition for /root, and create a ~120GB partition from the
remaining space and mount it as /db or /postgre or something.  Or if you
really know what you're doing slice it up as you see fit.

Since you're after database performance I recommended RAID 10.  If 146GB
isn't enough space, you can go RAID 5 instead and gain another 73GB of
usable space, though your performance and data integrity will suffer
somewhat.  Given the SmartArray controller has 64MB cache memory and
these are 10,000 RPM disks, you can probably go RAID 5 and still have
excellent performance for your applications.  That'll give you a disk of
about 220GB instead of ~146GB.

All this for somewhere less than $1000 USD including international
shipping.  Only downside is it would seem this used unit has been
dropped once or otherwise suffered impact damage.  As always, buyer
beware when acquiring used items from Ebay.  Seller has an excellent
rating, so it probably works fine.

Anyway, a good option to consider given your needs.

--
Stan