Re: IDE CD-DVD Writer won't write

On 12/13/2009 05:41 PM, Merciadri Luca wrote:
Then I suggest testing a closed-source alternative similar to
what you may know from Windows experience: Nero Linux 4,
http://www.nerolinux.de/. This way you can exclude kernel issues as
potential problem.

I do not often use Windows, but I wanted to try the burning with it,
to see if it was a hardware problem, or not.
It does not work with NeroLinux too.

It is likely the drive is just not being detected properly. It's almost impossible to find a CD/DVD drive which wouldn't work with Linux. If it works in Windows, it's a safe bet I can make it work in your Linux.

But, if you don't send us more info, there's not much we can tell you or help you with. I believe it's just a broken configuration on your part. There are kernel options which can lead to not detecting IDE drives, you might have blacklisted some modules earlier, BIOS settings, there's so many possibilities and things to check (and fix)...

Reboot and send us outputs of these, I'd better see it all:

cat /proc/cmdline
cat /proc/scsi/scsi
lsmod
lshal