Re: debian support and laptops

Daniel Dalton wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Following is a list of laptops. I've narrowed it down to 3 and am
> considering buying one and running debian on it. How good is debian
> support on these machines? What is good, what is worth avoiding?
> I will be doing:
> programming, typing, msn, irc, web, email, music, virtual machines etc.
>
> Here is the list:
>
> 1. Acer travel mate 6293 AU$1799
> 2. hp Compaq 6530S  AU$1279
> 3. hp Compaq 610  AU$999
>
> Thanks for your help.
>
> Cheers,
> Dan

Hi, I have a HP/Compaq 6730s (Intel c2duo T5870 (2ghz), ATI mobility
Radeon HD 3430, same reference can come with very different hardware).

It's working fine with kernel from 2.6.28 and up, it's running Debian
Squeeze right now. Pay attention to the cpu if you want to use virtual
machines, mine doesn't have the required cpu flags.
Construction is OK for a budget laptop, it as a good (working) webcam,
sound is really good for the price, it's possible to listen to music or
watch a dvd without torturing your ears to much. It's quiet, but
internal sound capture gets a lot of internal noise when the fan goes on
(Skype and such). I have an ATI video chip that works with free "radeon"
driver, but without 3D hardware acceleration. fglrx works as well as it can.
Suspend to ram/disk works, wifi works (Intel 5100AGN, iwlang driver).
Some special keyboard keys don't work (mute, light control...), but I
didn't put much effort in it.

In the budget range, I also run a Dell Latitude E5400, it's working
great "out of the box" with Debian (intel video, wifi works "Intel
5100AGN", suspend works). It's running kvm and VirtualBox fine (I think
cpu is C2Duo P8400). keyboard special keys are all supported. Again,
tech specs can vary a lot for the same reference.

Try to gather as many tech specs as you can.