Re: what is the proper grub2 update procedure when changing disks

On Mon, Nov 30, 2009 at 2:10 AM, David Goodenough
<david.goodenough@btconnect.com> wrote:
> In the old Grub1 days if I had a bootable disk die and I copied its contents
> across to a new disk and wanted to make it bootable I followed a procedure
> that ran grub, looked for /boot/grub/stage1, set root to that hd, and then
> setup that hd, and I was done.
>
> But now Grub2 seems to rely on UUIDs rather than device names and so
> this does not work, or rather needs an extra step.
>
> So can someone point me to either an existing Howto which documents
> the new procedure (I looked using Google but got nothing but the old procedure
> above) or can someone outline the new procedure.  This is of course a
> request for a Debian procedure, I am running a nearly up to date sid.

I don't have access to the shell history, but I think the incantation
that I used was something like:

mount /dev/sdb1 /mnt
# copy stuff into /mnt
grub-install --root-directory=/mnt /dev/sdb
umount /mnt

The UUID stuff is mostly regenerated when you run grub-install.  Any
local overrides that you might have in place would need updating
first, of course.  Same goes for any UUID references in /etc/fstab and
similar.

mrc