Re: Suggestions for desktop search application

On Sun, 29 Nov 2009 16:58:27 -0500, Celejar wrote:

> On Sun, 29 Nov 2009 21:19:48 +0000 (UTC) Camaleón wrote:

>> I'm looking of a desktop search utility that can to search mainly
>> within (inside) documents, mostly "pdf" and "odt" files, but not
>> limited to these ones (if it also could index Icedove e-mails would be
>> great).

(...)

> I've been using recoll for a while and I rather like it.  It's not
> flashy, but it works quite well.
>
> Some possibly useful links:
>
> http://www.wikinfo.org/index.php/Comparison_of_desktop_search_software
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/
List_of_search_engines#Desktop_search_engines

Johan, Celejar, thank you both for your suggestions. *Really* useful :-)

I think, by reviewing the wikipedia links provided (nice link!), I am
going to give "Tracker" a chance.

- "Tracker"
It seems to be quite similar to Beagle (easy of use and very well Gnome
integration) but it a has a bit more advantages (C programming -instead
Mono-, more stable and less resource consuming).

- "Strigi" + deskbar applet search
It seems to be very light-weight at indexing and also seems to be a
central point of integration between any desktop search (it has support
for several systems -linux, unix, solaris, macos, windows...) but I think
is still evolving and defining its way, so I'd rather prefer to wait a
year or two before start using it O:-)

- Recoll, by the way, seems to be more kde-centric (qt gui).

Greetings,

--
Camaleón