VsFTPd "553: Could not create file" error (once in a while)

Hi there,

I was wondering if anyone on this mailinglist could help me.
Recently I've upgraded a server running vsftpd (on debian lenny) from 32bit to 64bit wide architecture. Also the filesystem (with the user-files) has been reformatted from ext3 to xfs for performance reasons. Vsftpd remained on version 2.0.7-1 which has prior to this upgrade always worked flawlessly.

From my perspective everything on this server looks in excellent shape.
However, since this upgrade I get complaints from clients stating that they sometimes (!?) can't upload a file. They get an error like "553: Could not create file" in their ftp-client log, if they retry it suddenly works. This would rule out any permission problem. And since it has been tested from different ftp-clients and from different ISP connections, one could rule those out too.

On the server side, vsftpd (even with log_ftp_protocol=on) simply logs:
Mon Nov 2 22:14:10 2009 [pid 10746] [someuser] FAIL UPLOAD: Client "x.x.x.x", "/staging.domain.nl/HTML/fono/bumblebee/modules/Shop/Shop.php", 0.00Kbyte/sec

Alas, not very informative. While looking at the server log, I get an average of 200 "FAILED UPLOAD" entries a day on a ftp-server with around 28000 "OK UPLOAD" entries. Obviously there could be other reasons (quota or permissions for example) which could account for these failed uploads. But 200 a day, isn't that a bit much?

Here is the vsftpd.conf file i'm using (note that this configuration has worked in the past):

========== vsftpd.conf ==========
listen=YES
anonymous_enable=NO
local_enable=YES
user_config_dir=/usr/local/conf/vsftpd/
write_enable=YES
local_umask=022
dirmessage_enable=YES
xferlog_enable=YES
log_ftp_protocol=YES
connect_from_port_20=YES
idle_session_timeout=600
data_connection_timeout=300
ascii_upload_enable=YES
ascii_download_enable=YES
chroot_local_user=YES
secure_chroot_dir=/var/run/vsftpd
pam_service_name=vsftpd
ssl_enable=NO
allow_anon_ssl=NO
force_local_data_ssl=NO
force_local_logins_ssl=NO
ssl_tlsv1=YES
ssl_sslv2=NO
ssl_sslv3=NO
rsa_cert_file=/etc/ssl/certs/vsftpd.pem
force_dot_files=YES
userlist_enable=YES
userlist_deny=YES
userlist_file=/usr/local/conf/vsftpd/vsftpd.baduser

Is there somebody who could point me to a direction which I haven't investiged yet?
Thanks in advance for any help,

Regards,
Fili

Debian Lenny (2.6.26-2-amd64)