RE: PPP / ADSL / demand / GUI prompt question

If you want to have your connection be established on bootup, the "Debian
way" is to add your PPP connection to your /etc/network/interfaces file,
like:

auto ppp0
iface ppp0 inet ppp
    provider dsl-provider

Then, in your ppp options, add the "persist" option, which will cause your
connection to automatically reconnect should the connection be lost.  Remove
any "demand", "idle", or "holdoff" options.

For security, you'll want to add a firewall.  I use shorewall myself, and
like it.  The configuration is through text files, but it's leaps and bounds
easier than directly manipulating iptables.

That's how I had it setup before I switched to a DSL provider that used DHCP
instead of PPPoE.  I have since switched again to FIOS, but no changes were
necessary, since they use DHCP as well.

I personally prefer using a Linux machine as the router, and using a
separate wireless access point for wi-fi.  One reason is the flexibility
offered over the WAP/router combo units.  Another is memory.  Bittorrent
will cause many routers to run out of memory.

Hope this helps!
-- Kevin