Re: Cannot load module toshiba_acpi.ko

On Fri, Oct 09, 2009 at 10:12:19AM +0100, Chris Lale wrote:
> Lenny 5.3 i386
> laptop: Toshiba Satellite Pro L300D
>
> I want to run fnfxd and toshset to access the function keys for brightness etc.
>
> The programs will not run. The problem seems to be that kernel module
> toshiba_acpi will not load:
>
> Output from commands:
> =====================
> # fnfxd
> FnFX Daemon v0.3 (c) 2003, 2004 Timo Hoenig <thoenig@nouse.net>
>
> fatal error: Could not open /proc/acpi/toshiba/keys.
> Please make sure that your kernel has enabled the Toshiba option in the ACPI
> section.
> For more information read the documentation and/or
> http://fnfx.sf.net/index.php?section=doc#kernel.
>
> # toshset
> required kernel toshiba support not enabled.
>
> Attempt to load module manually:
> ================================
> # modprobe -v toshiba_acpi
> insmod /lib/modules/2.6.26-2-686/kernel/drivers/acpi/toshiba_acpi.ko
> FATAL: Error inserting toshiba_acpi
> (/lib/modules/2.6.26-2-686/kernel/drivers/acpi/toshiba_acpi.ko): No such device
>

> Module exists:
> ==============
> The stock kernel has been built with the option as a module. Excerpt from
> /lib/modules/2.6.26-2-686/build/.config:
> CONFIG_TOSHIBA=m
> CONFIG_ACPI_TOSHIBA=m
>
> The modules exist on the system.
> ls -R /lib | grep toshiba
> toshiba_acpi.ko
> toshiba.ko
>
> Is this a hardware issue? Any help gratefully received.

I have an L305 series laptop. The modules and programs
you mention don't work. I believe because the BIOS is
supplied by a different manufacturer than Toshiba.

There is a standard for how computers identify their
hardware to the OS called Differentiated System Description
Table (DSDT). Apparently many manufacturers' implementation
of this standard is broken.

Linux kernel ACPI(?) naively believes the broken
description of these resources.

MS Windows, OTOH, seems to know exactly what these resources
are, and ignores the broken mapping.

I came to understand that I will have to study my hardware
in detail to override the default DSDT. Beyond my initiative
at present, however I did find a website that describes
some of the intricacies.

http://www.lesswatts.org/projects/acpi/overridingDSDT.php

Hope that helps.

Joel