Re: OT: mutt/nano spell checking

On Wed, Oct 07, 2009 at 06:29:02PM EDT, thveillon.debian wrote:
> Chris Jones wrote:
>
> > Being the absolute Joe User
> > CJ
> >

> [apologies for the unethical massive snip, just couldn't resist
> bouncing on the "Joe User" ;-) ]

Yeah.. maybe I should pursue this on the OT list.. :-)

> For those who actually are Joe users :

What do you mean.. Are you doubting my "Joe User" status?

Swear that I am.. certainly where editors are concerned and I do not
grant anyone permission to deride the Joe User work group.

:-)

> in "Joe" (aptitude install joe) do
>
> ^T (calling options)
>
> V   ("Language")
>
> Set language

> and spell check whatever you want to with "esc N" (one word) or "esc
> L" (whole text), "esc" is a shortcut for "^[".
>
> And you get "nano" user friendly on-screen help (with "^K H") if you
> need, emulate "pico" behavior using "jpico" to launch "joe", but you
> can get "emacs"-like behavior if you want too ("jmacs").  You can mess
> it all to make your own "joe", look into /etc/joe/joerc (with
> comments) to insert macros, create shortcuts and such (or create a
> per-user file ~/.joerc).
>
> man joe
>
> Tom

Quite convincing. Maybe I should learn Joe.. but my point was that with
quality editors, you are never stuck, ever.

Whatever functionality you dream of, someone a bit like you has already
dreamt of it, and not only has it been implemented, it has also been
documented. If all else fails, a knowledgeable user community will be
happy to provide assistance.

Little chance that the main developer will go AWOL and leave you with
the perspective of having to take over the code or switch. But evenif
that happened, someone or other would be bound to take over real quick.

Naturally, unless they are not available due to the circumstances, you
can even use those same editors for quick'n'dirty tasks and they will
serve you just as well, if not better.

>From what I have seen, nano seems to have less capabilities than vim's
command line editing mode, and less sophisticated ergonomics. ;-)

Of course, life is short, and the wisdom of dedicating long hours to the
acquisition of editing skills is debatable.

So far, I can't complain..  Vim has paid me back in kind.

CJ