Re: segmentation fault with NVIDIA 32bit part

lee a wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 05, 2009 at 07:41:47PM +0200, thveillon.debian wrote:
>
>>> cat:/home/lee# /emul/ia32-linux/usr/lib/libGLcore.so.1
>>> Segmentation fault
>>> cat:/home/lee#
>> the ia32-libs got seriously reworked has I understand, you can use the
>> Sid version of nvidia's packages, and install the "Debian way" using
>> "module-assistant".
>
> You mean to install an older Debian package that has the nvidia
> drivers? I looked for nvidia packages, but there doesn't seem to be
> one that would compile things for the kernel I'm using. And I don't
> know what "module-assistant" is.

No, you said you are using testing (Squeeze), just like I do, so I am
not advising to install an older package but the current unstable (Sid)
nvidia packages set that suit your hardware.
The minimum you should have would be nvidia-kernel-common,
nvidia-kernel-source (to build the kernel module with module-assistant),
and after the module is built install also nvidia-glx[-ia32].

"module-assistant" (abbreviated m-a) is an helper package that can take
care of the module build (and most thinks implied by it). Just use
(after installing the package "module-assistant" of course) :

m-a a-i nvidia-kernel

as root, or just launch the ncurse interface with:

m-a

Of course "man m-a" is the place to start.

 If you do that directly it will build the default testing version, if
you install Sid packages first, you can use m-a to build the Sid
version, that's what I am using now on my Squeeze amd64 box.

>> It's working here, I tried the Nvidia (beta) script and it fails even in
>> expert mode where you can choose install paths.
>
> Yeah, the nvidia installer seems to work just fine and puts the
> libraries into the right place. But the libraries are not executable
> anymore without yielding a segmentation fault.

How do you test this, so that I can reproduce the tests here ?

> Since it worked before, there must have been some change made in
> Debian packages --- but against which one(s) would I file a bug
> report?

I am afraid it's more a problem with the proprietary nature of the
Nvidia driver. If it sucks big time it will always be in last resort
Nvidia's fault... Debian doesn't have to be tailored around proprietary
programs just to meet their needs.

> The web browsers don't work right anymore either and tend to crash now
> :( Instead of being improved, they got worse. What happened to the
> mozilla that included the email client and irc?

Well, that's another problem, iceweasel works mostly OK here, maybe
clean up your extensions/plugins ?

I think what you are looking for is the "iceape" program in Debian
jargon, not sure about this since I have never used it.

Tom