Re: gateway disappears on reboot

On Sun September 27 2009, Celejar wrote:
> IIUC, on a basic installation, nothing should be touching resolv.conf
> except for things that you configure explicitly.  There are several
> packages that will alter it: resolvconf, IIUC, the GUI network
> configuration utilities (NM, wicd, etc), and anything you put
> in /etc/network/interfaces.

I just installed freenx, but that was after 8/30, when the resolv.conf file
was modified.

> What network configuration utilities do
> you have installed?  What's your interfaces file?
I uninstalled network-manager long ago, I have been manually editing
interfaces since almost the beginning.

dpkg --list|grep network
rc  gnome-nettool                                           2.22.0-1
network information tool for GNOME
ii  iftop                                                   0.17-8
displays bandwidth usage information on an network interface
ii  ifupdown                                                0.6.8+nmu1
high level tools to configure network interfaces
ii  iproute                                                 20080725-2
networking and traffic control tools
ii  iputils-ping                                            3:20071127-1
Tools to test the reachability of network hosts
ii  libnet1                                                 1.1.2.1-2
library for the construction and handling of network packets
ii  libnetwork-ipv4addr-perl                                0.10.ds-1
Perl extension for manipulating IPv4 addresses
ii  libnm-glib0                                             0.6.6-3
network management framework (GLib shared library)
ii  libqt4-network                                          4.4.3-1
Qt 4 network module
ii  librplay3                                               3.3.2-11.1
Shared libraries for the rplay network audio system
ii  libsdl-net1.2                                           1.2.7-2
network library for Simple DirectMedia Layer
ii  libsdl-net1.2-dev                                       1.2.7-2
Development files for SDL network library
ii  net-tools                                               1.60-22
The NET-3 networking toolkit
ii  netbase                                                 4.34
Basic TCP/IP networking system
rc  network-manager                                         0.6.5-3
network management framework daemon
rc  network-manager-gnome                                   0.6.5-3
network management framework (GNOME frontend)
rc  ntop                                                    3:3.3-11+b2
display network usage in web browser
ii  python-ipy                                              1:0.62-1
Python module for handling IPv4 and IPv6 addresses and networks
ii  pyzor
1:0.4.0+cvs20030201-8               spam-catcher using a collaborative
filtering network
ii  razor                                                   1:2.85-1
spam-catcher using a collaborative filtering network
ii  tcpdump                                                 3.9.8-4
A powerful tool for network monitoring and data acquisition
ii  tightvncserver                                          1.3.9-4
virtual network computing server software
ii  traceroute                                              2.0.11-2
Traces the route taken by packets over an IPv4/IPv6 network
ii  wireshark                                               1.0.2-3+lenny5
network traffic analyzer
ii  wireshark-common                                        1.0.2-3+lenny5
network traffic analyser (common files)
ii  xfce4-netload-plugin                                    0.4-3
network load monitor plugin for the Xfce4 panel
ii  xtightvncviewer

my interfaces file has a static setup that I NORMALLY use, and a DHCP setup
when I am..working on stuff, like adding a router, troubleshooting..
#new dhcp setup
iface eth0 inet dhcp
auto eth0
dns-nameserver 208.67.222.222