Re: Mini 10v

On Wed, Sep 23, 2009 at 09:40:41PM +0000, Tzafrir Cohen wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 23, 2009 at 07:06:34PM +0300, Andrei Popescu wrote:
> > On Wed,23.Sep.09, 10:52:09, Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:
> > >
> > > All UNIX and Linux boxes should have an MTA.  It doesn't always need to listen
> > > on 25 or 587, but both postfix and exim4 support that.
> >
> > How about a PIII-500 machine with 384 MB RAM running from an 1GB USB
> > stick?  I prefer using the resources for mpd, rtorrent, ... than a MTA
> > which is only needed when cron has errors.
>
> Postfix: installed size of 3196.
> exim: 3685 (exim4, exim4-base, exim4-daemon-light, exim4-config
>
> Compare that to gdm (15215), perl (18304), python2.5 (10752) and others.
>
> If you run from a compressed system, the compressed size is more
> relevant, and thus you're more interested in the package sizes. In which
> case they are:
>
> Postfix: 1270
> Exim: 1760
>
> As for memory usage: my system has much more memory consumed by bash and
> vim processes than by postfix processes. Though the main memory consumer
> is by far iceweaser, and pidgin, gajim and xchat are following. I don't
> really worry about the resources used by a few little postfix processes.
>
> Again: there is a real value in an MTA that can queue mail and deliver
> it when your system is once again connected to the network. If you think
> this queueing should be done by the mailers themselves, that's fine. But
> it means they have to be made extra smart and aware of the configuration
> of the system. I rather let the system be aware of the configuration of
> the system.

Thinking about it again: Kmail, Evolution, and such can't really tell
what's in the queue of the local sendmail. Let alone kick a message from
there.

Postfix's mailq is something any local user can use. But there's a limit
to the amount of details it can provide. I'm not sure of the mainlers
can make up a useful display of that.

Exim's queue display commands (I don't remember them) require super-user
permissions but provide slightly better control of the details and
sorting order, IIRC.