Setting the font on google "advanced search" - Seamonkey.

On Sun, Sep 20, 2009 at 02:22:37AM EDT, Chris Jones wrote:

> > On Thu, Sep 17, 2009 at 11:27:35PM EDT, Chris Jones wrote:

> > > What I’m seeing is that my usual font was changed everywhere on
> > > the page except for the keywords entered in step 3. above.

> Same behavior with Firefox 3.5.
>
> Anyone seeing this with Opera, Konqueror, Dillo, IE..?

For those who were holding their breath.. text-entry fields, &
pull-downs such as the ones on Google's advanced search page are not
considered "content" fonts, but rather UI fonts - same as menus,
dialogs, etc.

In another words you cannot set them via the Preferences dialog.

This means that the UI choices that you had carefully tweaked, can in
part be modified by the page you are currently browsing.

Where it gets bettter is that Google apparently mix CSS and hard-coded
HTML style tags on their pages and as a result, setting up a .mozilla
userChrome.css, as usually recommended, here has no effect.

Temporary workaround that I found was to make fontconfig serve Verdana
instead of Arial & Sans-Serif.

For some reason, this works out of the box on Ubuntu 9.04 - whatever you
specified as your gnome "desktop" font is used to display those fields,
without anything that I can see having been implemented where fontconfig
is concerned.

I suspect that gconf might have something to do with it since the major
difference with the "lenny" system is that it does not run gnome.

I need to find a convenient time to boot into the ubuntu system to
investigate further.

Ah, well.. I guess I'll have to come to terms with the fact that fonts
on linux appear no longer to be in fashion.

;-)

CJ